Sunday, July 1, 2007

I know I've talked on alot about how beautiful Norway is, but no country has a right to look this amazing. It has everything - tall mountains, deep lakes, forested hills, long, winding waterfalls, lush forests, small fishing hamlets, brilliant sunsets (when it sets), modern cities... I can't really describe how great it is, and I'm usually pretty good a turning a phrase or three. Wait for some pictures, I guess.

One thing that has amazed me is how layered the country is. As any learned artists could tell you, the most beautiful masterpieces were done by painting one colored layered over the previous one. It's insanely difficult to do right - Da Vinci did it for Mona Lisa, among others. Computer graphic design works on the same principle. Norway is similar... rather than just seeing a lake or a mountain, there is a lake then a hill then a few taller hills then a tall mountain off to one side and a smaller one to the other, behind which is a huge, snow-covered mountain, and all around are layers of colored clouds. The hills and mountains also have layers - so steep each line of trees is noticably taller than the previous one, like a soccer pose.

The Adirondaks are similar, I guess, but not on this scale. Spent all day yesterday (six hours bus, six hours train) traveling from Narvik to Trondheim, over a thousand miles, and it wasn't until I neared Trondheim that the terrian changed even a little (less mountains).

strange: the formal greeting in Scandanavia is 'Hey!'. Makes me think everyone knows me or recognizes me.

Calvin & Hobbes is called 'Tommy & Tigren'

Getting a little tired of seeing so many museums... should find a spot to sit and rest and hike some, but have no time if I'm going to see every city I want to see.

Pictures soon? maybe.

No comments: