Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Don't have long, as I have a train to catch in 25 minutes. In Oslo, leaving for Gotenburg, Sweden, in route to Denmark.

Bergen was nice. Spent a day there, walked around, climbed a mountain, had whale and elk and reindeer at the fish market throughout the day. All were excellent, especially whale.

Then came to Oslo yesterday, walked around some in the rain yesterday and visited museums all day today. Most interesting was was the Kon-Tiki museum, about the famous explorer Thor H-something. Replicas of his many ships, exhibits about his travels - cool to see after reading the book. Also interesting was the Nobel Peace Museum, which was far better than the Nobel Prize Museum in Stockholm. Don't think I've ever seen a museum as hi-tech as this one. later I might have a video of a book they had there.

Norway has been great, although very expensive. By far more costly than anywhere else I've been. Taken to eating bread and fruit for lunch/breakfast, and dinner is whatever I can find for under 100 kroners (about 16 dollars...). Everything here costs far more than the mainland, and even more than back home. Haven't eaten as much as I should, but that should changed as I had back to the continent and their cheaper prices and larger servings.

Each of the past two nights I've roomed with people from East Germany, both of whom remember before the wall came down. About 30 years old for each, I think, and it's been interesting to listen to them. Both are capitalists, and prefer the way things are now, but also say that things were better there back before uninifcation.
Also talked alot in Bergen with a girl from Norway who spent time in England two older Englishmen, and French girl who spoke about every language imaginable. Then an elderly couple and a father and his a and adult son on the train ride to Oslo, then a Amsterdam native and one of the Germans in the hostel last night here. Always fun to have such cross-cultural conversations that last most of the night.

Denmark tomorrow. Visit Copenhagen, maybe, and will possibly hit Legoland 'cause I'm bored and tired of history museums. Then to Munich, to visit some castles. Then to Vienna for a few days, and Switzerland for a few, then to Paris for the rest of my time before I head to London on the 15th.

No comments: