Wednesday, July 25, 2007

In Edinburgh now, will be for another day or two. Haven't seen too much of the city yet, but walked around the city university with Sean's friend last night. Going to explore more today, and see the old castle up on the hill. Tomorrow I think we're visiting Stirling; but don't know for sure.

Spent a day in Manchester, which I enjoyed. Fascinating city... if London is the UK's metropolis, Manchester is the city of urban life and culture. I doubt many cities have such dedication and pride associated with it. 20 years ago the city was all but dead, and now it's alive, vibrant and fun. Cheap, too. We saw Harry Potter 3D on the iMax screen at the Printworks - an old converted printing shop that is now an upscale mall - and visited the Urbis museum, a modern glass building that showcases urban life and art. Most interesting was their Play exhibit, which showcased various urban trends - from parkour to flash mobbing, street musicians to guerilla gardening.

Right now I'm just really, really tired. Traveling with someone else is far more exhausting than traveling alone, and last nine weeks are catching up to me. I'm sleeping longer and doing less each day; and just don't have the energy or desire to see or do much of anything. Fly home in 5 days - have two more in Edinbourgh, a day in Loch Ness and one in Glasglow.

I've noticed that I've lost a few more things in the past few weeks. I think I've lost two of my five shirts - not quite sure how I managed to lose them. One I can't remember having since Interlaken, the other I'm sure I had in Stratford two days ago. Also lost my plastic bags, although I may have used them all by now, not sure.

Spent the last three days trying to find a book or two by this author I like. His books, in English, were all over Europe - I bought one of his in Stockholm, another in Milan - but I can't find them at all now that I'm in England, his English-speaking home country.

No comments: