Monday, July 9, 2007

Switzerland would be far, far nicer if it wasn't so cloudy and rainy outside.

That said, while most people have been around when it's pitch dark outside, few people can say they were around in pitch light. Walking through/in the rainclouds around Mürrén today I could see about as far as my waist - visibility was about three feet. Needless to say, I didn't make it to the top of Slichthorn like Bond did, as I wasn't going to spend 89 CFR to see nothing. Still, I made it one mile above sealevel... just not two.

Would love to come back here with more time, more money, better planning. There's so much to see in do in this region (Jungfrou - The Top of Europe), and I only have time to visit one tourist attraction and walk around some old villages. Two weeks here would be enough to briefly see everything - one day isn't enough.

Visited the Tummelbach (I think) waterfall... it's a glacier drain that flows through a mountain, and you actually get to climb through passageways inside the mountain to look at it. Supposedly it's the only thing of its type, anywhere. It was very loud and very wet.

Outside has been similar, minus the loud. Switzerland a mile up is quiet, with no cars able to make it this high. Ran out of breath in the three kilometer hike I limited myself to (too far for my ankle, which had been better)... air is much thinner up here.

Still, would love to come back in the future... rent a chalet for two weeks, visit Jungfrou and Slichthorn and see the famous play of William Tell, kyack in the lake and do some white water rafting. Would also love to try the much more expensive canyoning, and possibly paragliding... they have pretty much every outdoor sport imaginable here. They also have the highest minigolf course in the world, which i would have done if it wasn't raining.

Now I need to go see if the other bookstore in town has anything in English before heading to the supermarket for my dinner, and I'm going to go back to the hostel and eat and crash from exhaustion. Bern & Geneva tomorrow, Paris the day after.

No comments: