Thursday, June 28, 2007

After getting soaked in Stockholm yesterday I got on the train for Narvik, Norway at 1700. (Well, technically it was the train for Kiruna, Sweden, as the line for international trip reservations didn't open until 10 and I was there at 730and didn't want to wait). Was hoping to have some room to stretch out in after being completely drenched, but was put in a semi-cabin with six others. This was the first trip that I didn't get a window seat since a bus ride in Greece, which was disappointing.

Read for awhile, finishing up an amusing book I bought in Amsterdam at a friend's recommendation. Had bought another book that I planned on reading, but after I finished my book I noticed that the guy next to me was reading Douglas Adams. In German. But still, it was Douglas Adams. He spoke a little English, and we talked about Adams and Pratchett's work with his friend... they're both traveling north to visit one of Sweden's national parks. Around 2130 we started playing cards, and just played on and on until around 130. They taught me a game, I'd teach them one, etc.

Saw the sunlight at midnight - not the actual sun due to clouds, but it was still light enough to read by at 2400.

Woke up this morning to hear that the train tracks were washed out due to tons of rain, and we'll have to take a five hour bus ride instead. I wasn't looking forward to it, but it was a blessing in disguise - we got to slowly make our way through some of the most beatiful land on the planet. Started out in Lappland, moved to Nordland. Unfortunately my batteries in the camera were dead, so you'll just have to take my word for it. But the snow covered mountains, countless lakes and streams, waterfalls trickling down cliffsides, small, thin trees and bushes dotting the landscape as green as any tree I've seen... and then, as soon as we crossed into Norway (near the top of the mountains) little houses appeared everywhere, on every flat spot, small vacation homes for hikers and skiiers to get away from it all.

Now I have two or three days in Norvik, Norway, which is about 220 km inside the arctic circle. To give you an idea of how far north I am, look at Iceland - I've above that. Now look at mainland Canada - I'm slightly above the coastline of the mainland territories. Climate is wonderful here, though - feels like a warm fall day, due to the gulfstream.

Now I'm off to explore the city. There's a zoo nearby that features tame arctic wildlife that you can interact with... maybe they have a polar bear. Well, maybe not.

No comments: