Monday, June 25, 2007

I like A'dam. Fun, relaxing city - lot of museums to go to. Yesterday I visited the zoo and the historical museum, and spent a fair bit of time in an English language bookshop. Had a tranditional Dutch dinner - Indonesian chicken. Dutch cooking is horrible enough that they have to import all of their specialties.

Today was the beautiful botanical gardens, the wonderfully creative and playful science museum (spent way too much time and had way too much fun here) and the dull and boring wait at the train station to reserve my ticket to Copenhagen. Now it's raining very very hard, and i'm very wet and wearing my rain jacket for the first time this trip.

Will never get used to how many bikes are in this city. They have seperate paths for them, but are always about to hit pedestrians. Lots to look out for when walking - trams, cars, other people, buses, bikes, etc.

Finding that I pick up way too many books in my travels - carrying around 5 or 6 books, most of them fairly thick (600 page paperbacks) that I didn't start with. They make my bag big and heavier, but I don't want to just lose them. Only thing I've lost so far was my alarm clock, which was stolen in Milan, and I had to replace it with a larger one.

Tonight is my first night train. I expect to take them every night for the next week while I travel through Norway and Sweden - so much space to cover, so much to see. I'll probably pick up another book or two on the way, but it'll be nice and relaxing. Looking forward to completely the quest for seeing the sun at midnight.

No comments: