Friday, June 8, 2007

Patra, Greece

Well, I'm now on my own. Siena left this morning at 8:00, leaving me behind to do whatever I felt like doing. I checked out of the hotel, got on the metro to the train station and got on a train for the first time in many years - but certainly not the last time. After an hour ride from Athens to Korinthos (Corinth) I switched trains to arrive here in Patra (Patras) two hours later. I have a 17 hour ferry ride from here to Italy, and by this time tomorrow will likely be on another train on my way to Naples. While there I'll visit the famous Amalfi coast, the ruins of ancient Pompeii and possible take an afternoon trip over to Capri.

The past few days have been fairly slow paced for me. As I had little shopping to do and with only one group trip planned I relaxed and rested up mentally and phyiscally for the trip ahead.

It's kind of a shame that now that I'm quite comfortable with Greek culture I'm up and leaving for a completely new country. I've found myself adapting to Greek customs more and more lately - rather that nodding my head for yes, I've caught myself doing the half-slanted head bow customary here. I've picked up enough greek to order a meal without using English, which the owner at the local cafe noticed and complimented me on. I can simply order souvlaki, rather than pointing and hoping he understands - he gave me a euro off in celebration.

The train ride out showed me again how pretty the countryside here is. You may not know it, but Greece is the most mountainous country in Europe, with over 75% of the surface covered with them. I'm not surprised - there was never a time when I couldn't see a mountain. Sometimes the train tracks took me along the very edge of the mountain, right next to the sea, and on the other side I could see more mountains. Where there are no mountains everything is in use. Villages are everywhere, as are their four major produce plants - olive trees, pistachio trees, grape vines and little sour oranges that they use to throw at politicans (or so I've been told).

Only eight weeks left in Europe...

No comments: